This soup provides a good amount of beta-carotene as well as potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Makes 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 gala apples (save half of a gala, unpeeled)
- 2 pounds of butternut squash, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced (can use Yukon gold potato)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Pink sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, stirring frequently until golden brown.
2. Peel, core, and slice 3 1/2 of the apples. Add to the pan along with the butternut squash, potato, curry powder, ginger, salt, and cinnamon, and stir to combine. Add 3 cups of water; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
3. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan, add the milk, and whisk to combine. Cook over low heat until heated through.
4. Thinly slice the remaining 1/2 apple, unpeeled. Spoon the soup in mugs or bowls and top with cashews and apple slices!