Regrettably, many people simply don’t understand the concept of metabolism and metabolic change.
- Do you find yourself catching second hand information during an elevator ride? Or getting third hand information from a friend-of-a-personal trainer?
- And are you one of the many who believe their own weight gain and loss episodes are a matter of metabolic change?
There are scientific ways to increase the rate of metabolism thus allowing the body to burn calories.
Remember, your metabolism is the process of transforming nutrients from food into energy.
Sleep - Most of us don’t have as much control over the amount that we sleep as we should. Work, family, and so many other tasks can literally prevent us from getting the amount of sleep that we need. However getting enough sleep actually improves metabolism. On the other hand, people who are constantly sleep deprived typically find that they have less energy to do regular, daily activities; including digestion. As a result, sleep-starved people often lower their own metabolism. They simply don’t have the strength to break down food efficiently, particularly carbohydrates. This can be a very difficult issue, because many people can only find time to exercise by borrowing from their rest time.
If you steal time away from your sleep and rest in order to exercise, over time, you can actually do more harm than good; because the following day, you won’t have enough energy to digest what you eat.
If you find that you have trouble sleeping, then this can also negatively affect the speed of your metabolism (because you won’t have enough energy the following day). Insomnia and other sleep disorders are very common problems, and there exists a variety of support systems in place to help people get the rest that they require.
Tips to help you get a good night sleep:
- Don’t eat late at night
- Don’t turn on the TV at night
- Try yoga or other stress-relieving practices
- Try having a warm bath before bedtime
- Don’t exercise close to bedtime; your body can become so energized that it doesn’t want to sleep!